Sunday, January 31, 2010

fashion advice

I have the best parents ever! It's clear from my many blogs that they are pretty freaking awesome, and you can all thank them for creating the gem that is me. Not only have they spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on making me an educated woman, but they let me pick one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in. I'm not sure we all knew what we were getting ourselves into when I just decided to jet off to San Francisco, but I really owe them big time for providing me with an amazing college experience. I figure that because they have spent all this money so I can become a fashion extraordinaire, it's only logical that I put some of my vast knowledge to use. Since I am an apparel design student, soon hopefully to become a grad student (wish me luck!), I'll consider myself an authority on the issue at hand. So please everyone, listen up and focus your complete attention on what I am about to say.

Tights are NOT pants.

Therefore, they should not be worn as such. Just because something covers your legs does not by definition make them acceptable to wear out in public with just a t-shirt. Most tights, nylons, whatever you want to call them are not opaque, and therefore I can see that you chose to wear white granny panties under them. First off it scares me that your initial instinct was to pair black tights with white underwear, but mostly it scares me that you might have seen yourself in this outfit and thought it actually looked good. For your own sake, I am going to assume that you don't own a mirror in your home, an issue I think is much more common than we think, and you just decided to risk it. Transparent bottoms are never something you should just go with and hope for the best.

Some of you might be confused, and therefore I will let this one time slide, because you probably did not know any better. If you are a "wearing tights as pants" offender, let me give you some guidance, steer you in the right direction. Tights go under dresses, shorts, sometimes slacks. We can use them to convert summer clothing into winter and fall looks, make a short dress a little more conservative, or just add a fun punch of flavor to your ensemble. But if you do wear them, you MUST wear something else that covers your butt and crotch area. Stick with something structured like a dress, not a Hanes white t shirt.

I am in no way trying to be a fashion snob, or hate on something trendy right now, I am just trying to lend a helping hand to the general public. It IS NOT socially acceptable to walk around without pants on. Plain and simple, that rule pretty much stretches across the United States with regularity. Not only are you providing a major eyesore for the people around you, but you are being completely inappropriate. No one appreciates having to see your hoo-haa, and it is really uncomfortable for the person who has to confront you, and point out that you, despite what you may have thought prior, are not actually wearing pants. And that's kind of embarrassing...for you.

Lesson's learned: let's please just try and glance in something, anything reflective before embarking upon the public, and most importantly: tights are NOT pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment