Sunday, April 4, 2010

Why Everyone Hates Me.


Almost every friendship I have ever had has begun with the other person saying, "I thought you hated me when I first met you." Let me tell you why:

First off sarcasm and a dry sense of humor do not really make for a great first impression. In fact they mix together to create a horrible one, usually resulting in everyone thinking I am a huge bitch. Which, although I can have my moments, I can assure you that most of the time I am pretty genuinely nice. Second, I am very shy, therefore making me seem uncomfortable and awkward when meeting new people. Again, to someone I have never met before, this translates to me being snobby, and uninterested. In reality I am probably extremely intrigued by you and therefore intimidated beyond belief. My mind is most likely racing to try and come up with something impressive to say, usually this is overturned by my nerves and ends in an epic fail.

These two characteristics present the basis of my problem, but what really seals the deal together is the lack of control I have over my facial expressions. That's right, this beautiful face of mine gets me into A LOT of trouble, and never the good kind. I guess nothing about the way my normal expression looks says "Hey! Be my friend!" It is really difficult for me to walk around smiling all the time and not looking creepy. It does not come natural to me at all. I just can't look like this every day:

I mean that is smile deserving of a special occasion, and I can't justify wasting it on something as mundane as walking to and from class. So I have to settle and accept that I'll never be that person that just exudes happiness, in fact on a regular day, I probably look something more like this:


Why no one wants to befriend that, I'll never know.

While those lovely faces prevent me from making friends, the worst of all are the facial expressions that ruin my friendships. Apparently my expressions are an open book, and whatever I am thinking in my head is easily read through that look on my face. So the entire time someone is blabbing about something absolutely absurd and ridiculous, as I am thinking what an idiot they are, my face is shouting that same sentiment right at them. I'm also sure the eye rolling I can never control, doesn't really help either. I suppose acting will never be a possible career choice for me. Oh well, cross that off the list.


My ingenious solution is to spend some time training to perfect this problem. I plan to sit in front of a mirror, while someone shouts possible scenarios at me, and I struggle to keep my face straight and blank. Then obviously I'll spend at least an hour a day doing smiling exercises. Other than that, I can't really think of a way to come off as friendlier. Maybe I'll try telling silent jokes to myself and laughing as much as possible. Would it be better to come off as a mentally crazy person, or an uber bitch? Tough decision...

4 comments:

  1. well i never had a problem with your or your face!! you were very nice from the moment we met!! don't worry i show my emotions on my face to and it has cost me- but they weren't worth keeping around!
    hope you are well
    Rita!
    PS please keep posting- it helps distract me from my deathly boring life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, well thank you! you're too sweet. I miss you, I hope you you are doing well too!!

    i'm definitely gonna keep posting, I have A LOT of work to do, and am going to need something to keep procrastinating with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ashamed to say that I actually did think you hated me at first and told you so. Honestly, I came to admire you over the time we spent together. Your hardworking, competitive and spirit-filled personality is very inspiring. I'm glad to see your doing so well, and your designs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow thank you! that is honestly one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. i hope that whoever you are, that you are doing well too!!

    ReplyDelete