Wednesday, July 29, 2009

if i can read it, SO CAN YOU!


My roommate basically tricked me into reading this book with the promise of a future movie involving Anton Yelchin, whom we adore. Despite my rule of seeing the movie first, i figured by the time the movie actually came out i'd have forgotten the book, and besides i was going away for a weekend and needed some form of entertainment. Having spent the entire beginning of summer rereading mindless books, i was pretty thrilled at the aspect of something new.

I began the book, and immediately noticed that i was flyyyyyyying through it. I couldn't help but feel a small sense of pride, noting that despite half of my brain dying in my inexplicable obsession with the Twilight Saga, i still had my knack for reading. I imagined the actors as the characters i assumed they would play, and was falling in love. It's a pretty interesting storyline, filled with humor, and quirky characters. Exactly the kind of book i needed for vacation.

I finished the book in a day, and once i got back to civilization in San Francisco, i started doing some research on the movie. the first thing i came across was that this is actually a book written for the young adult crowd (ding ding ding, that must be why i read through it so rapidly). one small stab to that pride of mine. the next info i discover is that the movie is taking place in japan. in JAPANESE. (the actual novel takes place somewhere on the east coast). why you ask? i have no idea. i guess those japanese film companies swooped it up before we could. it most likely will never be released in the U.S. sigh.

that's the last time i'll be duped into reading a book under false pretenses. thanks roomie. cough cough. well if nothing else, at least i can muster up some enthusiasm for the fact that i actually read a new book this summer. even if it doesn't quite compare to my lengthy list well renowned classics. i should know that i'm too lazy to accomplish my overachieving dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment