Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Glu-TARD


If I had a dollar for every time someone accused me of being a hypochondriac, I wouldn't be rich, but I could definitely treat myself to a crazy night on the town. I realize I do occasionally visit webMD in an attempt to diagnose all my various health issues, but they are REAL problems, so therefore this is a totally legit practice. While those health sites have been helpful in the past, I finally decided instead of playing make believe doctor myself, I should probably break down and see a real one.

I procrastinated on the issue long enough, mostly because I really dislike going to the doctor. Not because I usually come back with some new medical issue, that's awesome, it's because doctors always make me feel really stupid. I don't know why, but I have yet to meet a fabulous MD with fantastic "bedside manner." I'm a pretty easy going girl, but when I explain my symptoms and you look at me like I am crazy, it makes me feel really uncomfortable. Even though I am almost 23, I would love to still bring my mom to all of my check ups. It's like parents speak that doctor language, I swear if I said something, and then my mom repeated it verbatim, the doctor would feverishly nod his head in agreeance, and proactively move towards solving the issue at hand. This has actually happened to me in the past, and only reaffirms my theory that every doctor I meet just thinks I'm a little unintelligent girl. Obviously, if they spent any time getting to know me, they would see that I'm actually quite bright and a pleasure when it comes to dealing with health problems.

So I finally showed up for my appointment, and was not surprised when the situation played out exactly like every other doctor's appointment I have ever had. See, even the doctor thinks I am a crazy hypochondriac. But boy did I prove them wrong this time. I explained my symptoms as the doctor gave nothing back in return except a silent quizzical expression. But to humor me, he sent me off to the lab with a whole slew of random blood tests to be done. A few days later he called me back with the results: JACKPOT! Turns out, I'm not crazy...at least when it comes to my health.

Looks like I have celiac's disease; which is a gluten intolerance, meaning bye bye bread and all those other delicious gluten containing products. This does not come as a complete surprise since both my grandmother and mom have this disease as well. So between my new food issues, and my pending back issues, it has become apparent that I am comprised of all of my parents hereditary health problems. Don't think I look like them? Well let's whip out those medical records, and there is no denying that I am my parents' child. So chew on that everyone who ever accused me of being a hypochondriac! Maybe now you will all think twice before throwing out such harsh accusations.

Obviously I am dealing with everything in good humor. It's really not a bad dietary adjustment to make, especially since it seems my mom has an entire freezer dedicated to the gluten free mecca she has created. It is pretttty impressive. I am just going to take this as a new chapter in my life and the opportunity for me to have plenty of new material for this enthralling blog. I am off to finish sewing and chow down on the gluten free pizza. Not too shabby if you ask me!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, if you had to find out you had anything, Celiac's is probably the best BECAUSE your mom has it, too. She can pass on all of her knowledge to you, young one. I wedMD'd 'persistent nausea' and all I got back was 'seriously crazy'. Dangit. Foiled by the man, again!

    ReplyDelete