Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Is it you? Or not you?

Maybe it's just me, but I distinctly remember a huge identity theft scare about five years ago. Commercials were playing all over television, people were advising you to stop forking over your social security number, and all retailers were told to always check ID when someone was using a credit card.

I would say over the years the hype has definitely fizzled, and with technology these days, there are all sorts of new ways to commit fraud. I know I use my credit card all the time, and rarely am I asked to show proof of identification. For now it doesn't really bother me, because I know it is really me using the card, but I am sure if my card was stolen, I'd hope they were checking ID's everywhere. The store I work at requires that we ask for ID whenever a customer makes a purchase with a credit card. Most of the time, people expect it, A LOT of times people thank me for asking, they love being reassured that we are actively trying to prevent credit card fraud. But the other day one customer absolutely blew my mind.

This woman was appalled at the fact that I asked for her ID. I honestly have never seen such a dirty look on someones face. She had no idea why I could possibly ever need to see her ID. Isn't that like one of the first things they teach you when you get a credit card? It gets better though. She didn't have her ID on her. (Which I would like to point out, is actually illegal. That's right, you have to carry identification with you at all times, failure to present proof of who you are can be charged as a misdemeanor, sometimes a felony...just an FYI). Not only did she not have ID, she had no other cards or anything at all with her name on it. She literally left her hotel with just her card...in her sweatshirt pocket. I think that's a pretty daring move there, especially as a tourist, good luck finding a cab in SF that takes cards...those are few and far between. Not to mention public transit isn't going to take your visa. I commend your spontaneity, but being stranded in a an unknown city with essentially no money does not sound like a risk I'd like to take.

Anyway, when I kindly apologized and explained I would not be able to let her use her card without identification, she was shocked and angry. She snapped back with, "Am I going to have this problem everywhere I go?" Well I hope so. That is kind of the point...to prevent people who are NOT you, from using your card. How else can we prove that, without some sort of indicator of your identity? I just wonder where this woman has been for the last five years, under a rock? Did she miss all these delightful commercials that were actually pretty funny in getting the point across:



If she did, she sure missed out. I personally thought these commercials were extremely innovative and hysterical. It definitely made me take my social security card out of my wallet. Basically the point I am trying to make is whip out that ID whenever you're using your credit card. Not only are you doing the cashier a favor, you're doing yourself a favor too.

p.s I am absolutely shocked at how many people do not know the difference between credit and debit. Let me clarify. Debit means you have to input a pin number, the number you use when you take money out of an ATM, and then the money is automatically taken out of your account. It's the modern check! Credit on the other hand is like a loan, the card company pays for your purchase, and then you have to pay it back later, when they send you the bill. So please do not get mad at me, when I ask "Credit or Debit", you reply "debit" then swipe your card and shove it quickly back into your wallet, which you then neurotically zip swiftly into your purse, after which my computer tells me your card is actually credit, and I have to ask to see your ID. I don't appreciate your eye rolls as you have to pull your wallet out all over again. Learn the difference between credit and debit and we can ask for your ID card before you shove it back into your bag at lightening speed. It's really not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment