Friday, June 25, 2010

pet PEEVED

When did it become okay for people to have conversations on cell phones in quiet public places? i.e. the waiting room of a doctor's office?



I know I have talked about this issue before, but this is honestly one of my biggest pet peeves, and it seems as if the problem is just getting worse. As much as I embrace technology and am absolutely addicted to my *crack*berry, I cannot stand the lack of etiquette people seem to have when it comes to using their cell phones.

From my own personal experience the past few days, it seems that loudly rehashing the events of last evening, to a mystery person on the other line, especially in generally quiet areas such as waiting rooms and elevators, is now an acceptable practice. I guess I missed the memo. This entire time I have been politely leaving these quiet areas to answer my phone in a hushed voice, only to inform the caller that I will call them back when in a more acceptable atmosphere. I had no idea I could have just been enjoying the conversation without exerting any effort to move at all. Think of  all of those wasted extra steps! For a person of my laziness, that really hits me where it hurts.

Call me old fashioned, but I think conversations about how your bowel movements, or lack there of, should be discussed in a more private manner. But what I especially dislike is the fact that you have chosen to have that conversation in a venue in which the surrounding people cannot escape. Believe it or not, I'm not sitting in that Doctor's office reception area at my own leisure, looking for a good time. I'm most likely stuck there. Waiting for an appointment that's an hour behind schedule. Getting up and leaving is not really a feasible option, and therefore I am being forced to listen to the drama you're having with your best friend, and what a dirty whore this supposed best friend is. It may seem shocking, but I don't care. And if I don't really care about something, I most certainly do not want to listen to only half of it. I have no idea what the person on the other line thinks, but judging by your blatant stupidity and rudeness, it's their opinion I'd probably rather hear. If you're gonna be so disruptive to us all, the least you can do is put it on speaker, so we can hear the entire story!

So next time you're sitting in a classroom before it starts, or a movie theater 20 minutes before the show, or riding in an awkward elevator, or sitting in your dentist's waiting area; go ahead and take this advice: Stick to Texting! There is no need to alert the people around you to your idiocy. We can probably already tell from the blank expression on your face. While most offenders in this area are the young teens and adults of this world (it's apparent that our generation has a large dilemma in the manners department), the older generations should not rule themselves out completely. In fact that last three times this has happened, it has been people in their 40's+ causing the problems. While I have great respect for those older and wiser than me, just because you're a "grown up" does not mean the rules don't apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment