Friday, February 26, 2010

well THIS is cute

I feel like my job gets new merchandise every freaking day. Seriously every time I come in the floor looks completely different, and I don't recognize any of the items. Keeps us on our toes right? Well when I am out on the sales floor, it doesn't take too long to do a few laps and familiarize myself with our new items. But when I am stuck at the cash register, I feel like I'm stranded on a desert island, with no contact from the outside world. It is insane what a bubble the cash register is. The only people you ever talk to are your fellow register-ees, and ALLLLLL the customers.

Being the awkward person I am, I sometimes have a hard time making small talk with the different customers. It doesn't help that probably half of them are from foreign countries, and a lot of times don't speak English. It's just hard to come up with things to talk about with complete strangers, so inevitably I fall back on either commenting on the clothing they are wearing, or the items they are purchasing. And since, we get so much new merchandise all the time, usually I use this time to do my own shopping as well. "Oh this dress is CUTE!" After noticing four or five adorable new items, I find myself asking the customers where they found these articles of clothing. This makes me smile, because it reminds me of the Target lady on SNL.



This sketch is not the orignial one, which I think is the funniest, but I still think it's pretty hilarious. They totally nailed retail personalities spot on, at least for some stores. It's funny because I actually worked at Target for a short period of time, which of course was an interesting experience in itself. In my time there, I don't think I had nearly as much energy as Kristin Wiig, but I know I was always intrigued by people's purchases. It is such a huge store, you can never know all the merchandise, especially when you spend your entire time at the cash registers. So here I am, four years later, working at a different store, still shopping while ringing customers up. Luckily it's only a clothing store, so there are fewer TMI situations while people are checking out. Nothing like ringing up an older man at Target, with Hannah Montana, a box of condoms, and a six pack of tea light candles. Enjoy your night sir!

All in all, I think I might need to come up with some more small talk conversation topics, not only to avoid becoming as obnoxious as this fictional Target employee, but also for the sake of my shopping addiction. Continually watching customers make really cute purchases inspires me to do some damage of my own. Which with a closet as full as mine is never a good idea.

2 comments:

  1. I did that a lot at Ulta. Someone would bring up their basket and I'd be like, wait, Urban Decay makes EYE PRIMER?! Smashbox has a GIFT SET?! OPI makes THIS COLOR NAIL POLISH?! It became a problem. I spent too much money I was supposed to be saving... But I had a sweet discount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah sounds a lot like my life, i spend WAY to much money at my work and their other stores. it is becoming a problem, but why buy something somewhere else for full price, when i can get it at a discount...?

    ReplyDelete