Thursday, February 4, 2010

help, i'm LOST

Back in April of last year I wrote a little post about the show Lost. Now almost a year later, as we embark upon the last and final season, I am beginning to find that my sentiments about the show have not changed much.

Six years ago, I sat down to watch this show with my family, I was then a naive 17 year old swept up by an enthralling storyline, and good looking actors. Little did I know, my loyalty to this show, would become one of the longest relationships I have ever had... with anything. I have given this show a level of dedication I didn't even know I could exert. And now Lost owes me. Big time. Over the years it seems my family kind of lost interest, and who can blame them, six years is a LONG time to air a whopping 100 episodes. About a month ago I was excitedly telling my Dad that Lost was going to start soon, and I was thrilled that I would finally be getting my answers. My dad laughed, his little "I work in the tv industry, and I think you'll be disappointed" laugh, and asked, "What is it exactly that you are expecting of this show?"

For a moment I was perplexed. What do I want? ANSWERS. I want logical answers. Something about this island is really effed up and I want to know why. How is it possible that everyone can travel through time, why everyone who lives on the island insists upon killing other people, and why are they all listening to an invisible man who lives in a rickety shack? If the entire premise is something the writers completely made up, I am expecting them to have written an entire historical anthology to back this theory up. I am talking J.R.R Tolkien status. If that doesn't happen, ABC better beware...they will have a very heated letter (gasp. not a letter!) coming their way.

I sat down on the couch Tuesday night, with a small ray of hope, smug that I finally made it to the last season, and everything was finally going be explained! Well it didn't take more than five minutes into the episode, for me to realize that bit of hope was going to be blasted to smithereens. Once again, the dramatic L-O-S-T floated to the screen, and all I could utter was "WHAT-THE-EFF?" Seriously Lost? Seriously?! Here is what I have to say about the season premiere:

Well thanks for the answers. You really cleared a lot of stuff up. I'm glad you chose to introduce a whole different tribe of new characters. I really wasn't having a hard time keeping the SEVEN HUNDRED other cast members in order, sure let's throw in twenty more. Not to mention, does it ever end? How many people freaking live in this island? Are we going to find a small city of Keebler elves living within the endless forest? I mean I guess that would explain why everyone on the show seems so well fed... And I LOOOVED the parallel universes you created. Now we have two sets of each character living at the same time, and that is absolutely 100 percent comprehensible. Happens all the time right? Lastly, who the hell is actually dead? It seems like everyone I thought was gone completely is now suddenly back. So now I am trying to meet new characters, while desperately raking my brain trying to remember the story lines for all the characters that died five years ago. Kudos for keeping me in the dark, because that is exactly what you have achieved.

I am completely and utterly LOST. There is no other way to say it. I cannot figure out whether we are in the present, past, future, or an absolutely new time zone. It seems that all rules have been broken, and I feel like the writers are just calling this a free for all. They have torn through all their boundaries, and I fear they just are not going to be able wrap it all up. Then I will officially have wasted six years of my life trying to understand this enigma.

All I am asking for is some satisfaction. I think, as a the dedicated follower I have been, I deserve at least that much. I just want to get off the couch after the final episode, and give myself a little high five. Go Lauren! It was worth sticking it out...unfortunately I am not holding my breath. Unless things start getting explained soon, I am not sure I will even understand when they finally tie up all the story lines. I am a full time college student, I can only allot so much of my brain to mysterious plane crashes on magical islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment